In Memory Of Misty and Milo Harvest

Well, I had planned to just write every other day, but I have time and a few topics, so I decided to just do it. I wanted to write a quick post on my cat, Misty. She has died. She was a beautiful, loving cat. But we believe she was born with leukemia, which overtook her near her second year of life. I am going to miss you, Misty.

Anyways, on to brighter subjects. I have found out the name of our new bull calf, it is Manolete'. I believe he is named after a legendary bullfighter. Google it, people.

I have put up links in my sidebars to blogs that I read. Please check it out, and if you like it, leave a comment. And, if you haven't been keeping up with Dad's book, go through his archives and find the intro and parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. And please be sure and let him know what you think by leaving a comment.

Today after the fellowship, Mr. Wood's took us, meaning Mr. Sustaire, Mr. Peck, Mr. Sifford and Dad and I, out to a friend's Milo field. Here is a picture of Milo, a grain that's cheap and easy to grow. This friend, Richard, had combined most of his milo, but there were patches he had left undone because the weeds would have busted his combine machine. Weeds here meaning small trees covered with sticky residue that I am apparently allergic too. Well, we took our scythes out there, and began cutting the heads off of the plants. The heads were large with grain, and fairly easy to find, once you cut through a jungle of Johnson Grass and "Tall Sticky Allergen Tree" to find them. Also, you had to keep one eye out for hogs, who had been spotted and had left a noticeable scent in the patch of tall grasses. I asked what the code word was for " There's a rather large pig lunging at my face". We agreed on the code word, ' AAAAAHHHH'. Anyways, we found a pretty good amount of Milo. About 70 pounds worth. Dad and Mr. Woods and Mr. Peck and I used a machete, but the others used hand sickles:

I also saw a tremendous amount of these ' dinosaur bugs ', properly termed Giant Wheel Bugs or Assassin Bugs :


We had a wonderful time of laughter and fellowship. Thank the Lord for the harvest.

Well, I have to go turn out the lights in the Summer Tent. Seems like the little ones are having a party out there.

Good Night, and Don't let the Giant Wheel Bugs Bite,
Tracy

Comments

  1. I'm sorry about your cat. We had a cat with leukemia, once, named Panda. It made her more susceptible to other diseases and she finally got another disease that we had to put her down because of. It was not fun.

    As for the milo harvest, THAT looked like fun! LOL! And it is really nifty that you got all that grain. Praise the Lord!

    :-D

    I love your new blog.

    Ginny

    P.S. I am having a hard time posting a comment. I hope this goes through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts