Prickly Pear Jam


Well, it's that time of year again. The pears on the cactus have turned a pretty shade of magenta.
I sent the young'uns out this morning to get me a few pails full. They picked the darkest, biggest ones, perfect for making jelly. I browsed around looking for a better recipe than the one I used last year, that just made syrup. I found this:

What you need: 2 ½ cups of prickly pear juice, 3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, 1 package powdered pectin, 3 ½ cups sugar.

What you do: You’ll need about a full quart of the berries to make the 2 ½ cups of juice. Pluck them from the cactus plants using tongs. Torch the small clusters of spines off of them using a pencil torch, then scrub them underwater with a old toothbrush. Steam in a pan until fruit is tender and soft, then run through a manually operated food mill. For extra clear jelly, run the liquid through a cheese cloth, jelly bag or fine sieve to remove all sediment. In a saucepan, add juice and pectin. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add lemon or lime juice and sugar. Bring to a hard boil that cannot be stirred down, and continue to boil for another three minutes. Remove from heat, skim and pour into half-pint jars leaving a quarter inch of head space in each jar. Wipe jar rims and seal lids. Process for ten minutes in a boiling water bath. You should have six of the half-pint jars of jelly.

It worked amazingly well, and the jelly came out the right consistency. I think the lemon juice works and tastes a lot better than using lime juice. Duct tape works well for ripping out the microscopic spines that seem to make their way to that tender spot between your fingers.

Well, I have to run and wash the many sticky dishes.

Good evening,

Tracy


1 comment:

  1. I have about 50lbs of prickly pear in my freezer. I want to make more a preserve then a jelly. Does anyone have a recipe for a preserve or any insight?

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment form placed here for the discussion of the contents of the post it is attached to. It is also a place that people can talk to me, ask me questions, or any other friendly, normal communication that pops to mind. This is not a place to anonymously attack me, my family or my church. This is not a place to further your agenda (you know who you are). So if you don't have anything nice or at least anything constructive to say, just be on your way please, there is nothing you can do for me or anyone else. Thank you. Tracy M.