Garden and Grain in the Garden

Hi!

This week has been a bit busy, with Dad's much anticipated book bomb, and the garden prep, and all the other little jobs made a little bit bigger by the heat.

 
But garden prep continues. I have been refilling the beds that have settled with the rain over the summer, and the rabbit's weekly manure pile is such a blessing for this job. My sister and I hope to get seeds put in by the end of next week, once Robert finishes stapling up more shade cloth to keep the grasshoppers out of our seedlings.

 

I found a garden friend!
 
The summer heat is rising to it's last crescendo here in Central Texas, and I have been feeling a little run down because of it. No worries, September will be here before long. And Jennifer will be sweet sixteen in September, and what will I do? I can't believe how old we all are. I mean, Jennifer and Robert tower over me now, and I feel like I was the little sister all along.
 
Since I have Grain on the brain these days, I thought I might try some experiments with some grain growing in our fall garden beds. I was thinking of intensively planting some barley in a raised bed, just to see how it might do here. Also, I was reading about Quinoa, and I would really like to try planting that too, just to see how an heirloom grain might grow in our climate. Any ideas or advice or experience with these grains in the comment section would be much valued. :)
 
My elderberry bush, given to me by my dear friend Judy, is growing gangbusters and I am not sure why. It's in spite of me, I am sure because I couldn't have gotten this plant to do so well if I tried.
 
 


But it continues to do well, nonetheless. Maybe I will get some berries next year!!
 
Well, that's this week in the world of heat-treated agrarianism.
 
Tracy

Comments

  1. I'm so glad the elderberry is growing for you. The fragrant gailardia, Drummond wild onion and tickle tongue tree that I brought back from my last visit are growing here as well. I have millet and Hopi Red Dye amaranth seed. Would you like for me to send you some?

    Bless you sweet lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Judy.

    I am actually allergic to millet. (I believe so anyways, this is a subject debated here within the community.) I had a hive breakout last time I ate it, and I rather not try it again to make sure. I do not know what The "Hopi Red Dye" amaranth is, but I would be excited to try it if it is not a member of the millet family. ;)

    Thanks and bless you.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try growing Quinoa. You know it makes saponins that you can use to wash clothes or cloth in also. What a wonderful multipurpose plant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts