Passover Bunnies.


I hope everyone is having a blessed week so far. Our week has been so busy, and it shows no signs of slowing. On Friday night of last week, we took a load of trash to the recycling center in Brownwood and brought back a load of wood chips for the garden. A huge load of wood chips. So that is due to be spread in the Back to Eden garden in the morning. The greenhouse is a hive of life, with close to eighty tomato sprouts, okra, cantaloupe, various squash varieties, cucumbers, and some potted herbs waiting to be moved to the raised herb bed. Lots of work to do. We had an almost freeze on Sunday night that killed our little peppers, but thankfully the tomatoes, squash, chard, collards, garlic, and onions were all okay.


The cold front was just in time for us to butcher a sheep for Passover, which we did on Monday morning. The sheep we butchered was a cut male, and he was a hefty guy. Sarah called him a polar bear because in addition to an already chunky frame, he had about four inches of winter coat on him. But we got him slaughtered and butchered and on ice before lunch. I carved off the loins and shoulders for Passover, and we canned the rest.


On Tuesday morning I spiral cut the loins and seasoned them with garlic, rosemary, salt, lard, and basil and rubbed them down with lemon juice to cut the musky sheep taste (and it worked!!). I put them back in the icebox until I was ready and then seared them, roasted them and made a gravy for them. The shoulders I merely slow cooked with rosemary and garlic. Everything surprisingly turned out well and the Seder was as blessed as ever. We have been observing Passover since I was very, very young and I would greatly encourage anyone who hasn’t ever done it to look into it. It is a wonderful biblical holiday that is educational for children and adults alike, every year.


Oh! The bunnies dropped this last week, and boy howdy what a bunch of bunnies I have now. It never ceases to amaze me how fast your bunny bunch can grow in a matter of hours. I went from five rabbits to almost thirty in two days. What a profound blessing. And so far we haven’t even lost the runts, so hopefully our good run keeps up. Lots of bunny butchering to do this late summer/fall!!


Well, I had better sign off. As a reminder, if you haven’t already liked our Yellow Rose Facebook page, please do by following this link.

I hope the rest of your week is blessed.
Until next time,
Tracy M.

Comments

  1. Tracy, I don't have a FB account, so I can't "like" it, but I enjoyed the Al Mohler article you put up (he's cool for a credobaptist... ;) Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually know literally 0% about Al Mohler, I probably should have mentioned that in the post. I merely came across that article and thought it was a good one, and it fit into some conversations I had been having with some friends. I keep meaning to go back to his site, I'm just to preoccupied at the moment. Also, while I like that article, there are a lot of limitations a Christian must put on his own mind when standing against the concept of Moralism, because it is a slippery slope. Anyways, thanks! I liked the article a lot, too.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Tracy. I really enjoy reading your posts and learning more about homesteading, so, please, keep 'em coming! I would also like to ask a question regarding your Passover Sedar: is there a specific reason why you didn't consume the whole sheep in one sitting? I thought the Bible said there should not be any leftovers, and that if a family was too small to eat a whole sheep, that they should join another family in order to do so. Of late, I have become more and more interested in the Torah and in the keeping of Biblical Holidays, but I haven't done a proper research about what applies and what does not apply to Christians. Maybe you (or your parents?) could suggest some online resources on the topic? I am not a native speaker of English, so, please, forgive any mistakes I might have made :) Irelu.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts