Summer Rain.



Well, here I am. It's always awkward coming back when I've been absent for a while, but so it goes. I've had my reasons, but let's get on with it, shall we?


Rain. So much rain. And no one is happier than I am about it. We have had an amazing amount of moisture and the gardens are starting to look like a jungle. Well - a jungle that's half weeds, but I'm an optimist. I think. Anyways it's looking wonderful out there and the produce is starting to roll in at a steady pace. I've been working on some lacto fermenting, but we have mostly been eating what comes in right now. Pretty soon it will be just too much (Lord Willing) and I will have to kick it up in the cultured department.


This morning was a slow one (because it was raining) but I eventually got started and was able to get the kombucha bottled, the water kefir just started, and the house pretty clean before I disappeared behind my writing. I still have some things to do before I go to work at the cafe this week - a brown dress and apron to be made, a pattern traced for a friend, a rabbit butchered, chicken and rice to be canned, laundry, and on and on it goes. You won't catch me complaining. I'm always glad to be busy. Oh, and garden work. Always garden work. Jennifer stays on top of the weeding and harvesting pretty well, though. She has really good instincts when it comes to gardening. Better than I ever had. Robert caught the bunny that got out a few days ago (finally) and hopefully he can finish my totally awesome new bunny hutch this week. I need to take a picture to show y'all when it's finished - you'll see how awesome it is.


I don't know if y'all know, but I recently turned 21. 21 years old. Wow. Me?

I think that 21 is a retrospective age. (laugh it up) I mean, you have an era decidedly behind you and (Lord Willing) one before you. I look back and I try to see things right. I shake my head at some times and cherish others. Sometimes both. Lessons don't always feel like lessons at the time. But I've had my share of lessons. I'd say my childhood and teenage years were a win, for the most part. I'm glad for every moment of them. Every single moment. I will say one thing - I can never thank myself enough for keeping a journal. It's crazy to look back at a page I poured my heart out on a year ago today, and know that I can remember just what I was feeling and why I was feeling it at any time I open that book. I'm not really an emotional person in real life (writing makes me so) and so to know that I felt something real and learned from it later is priceless to me. If that makes any sense at all. Just start keeping a journal. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, and it doesn't have to be particularly coherent. Just date it and write what's up with you. Even if it's that you planted tomatoes and cooked a chicken and decided to read the rest of the day. It's all good.

 

So the reason I've been out and quiet is that I've been to busy to be inspired. Maybe that's a dumb excuse. Maybe I am hitting a bit of writer's block. Wouldn't be the first time.

I plan on doing another wild edibles post soon - maybe do a just pictures post, too. Other than that I'm too busy to think these days. Have any suggestions?


"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." {Psalm 13:5}

Always, and with the Lord's help.

Until Next Time,

Tracy M.

Comments

  1. HI Tracy,
    I enjoy reading your blog :) I am 34 but wish I had your maturity when I was 21! but in saying that its good to be content and work with what you have with thankfulness.
    I agree with you on journalling, other than a good thing to look back on for the future, it's a wonderful therapy for the present, I find that when I get my thoughts out on paper I can sort them and find clarity! I can never do that verbally or even on a keyboard lol!
    I would love to see image posts of general daily life stuff there where you live, current projects, your house, property etc. with the idea that a picture paints a thousand words :)

    Blessings from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are dead on in this post, except for one thing. We're pretty excited about the rain too. ;)

    Love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were soo glad ur back! Look forward to
    Future post. Maybe a pictorial day in the life maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Midwife, Doula, Granny? "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no baby". Oh, no pictures please, just wondering what the difference in the 3 might be. Do modern day Midwifes venture outside of child birth? Do you think you would ever find interest in more of a "Granny" role, or are you all about the babies?
    I enjoy your blog BTW.
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gerald, thanks for your question.

    A midwife is really a broad term, technically speaking. There are three types of midwife; a licensed midwife, a certified midwife, and a lay midwife. A different set of rules applies to each according to the laws of the state she practices in. A doula is a professional birth assistant, and often has another set of skills apart from birth: holistic or herbal medicine, nutrition, or something of the like. My mother's doula was a massage therapist, as well. I'm not really familiar with the term "granny". I always thought it meant a woman who was not professionally trained or licensed, but had gained her knowledge of babies and birthing and pregnancy through years and years of experience. I think Amish communities most often have this type of woman present at their births. Maybe I'm mistaken about the term "granny". What do you mean when you say "granny?"

    I'd like to be a certified midwife one day, but for now I'll just follow pregnant women around. It's always been all about the babies for me.

    Tracy M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts